#1 Women’s Lacrosse Clinches Sun Conference Regular Season Title with Win over Bobcats, 20-5
via Keiser press release/website
Score: No. 1 Keiser 20, St. Thomas 5
Records: No. 1 Keiser (13-0, 5-0 SUN), St. Thomas (4-9, 1-4 SUN)
Location: AutoNation Field, Miami Gardens, Fla.
With a game still left on the schedule, No. 1 Keiser women’s lacrosse clinched the Sun Conference Regular Season Title on Saturday in Miami Gardens, defeating St. Thomas, 20-5.
Keiser 3, St. Thomas 3
- St. Thomas would win the opening draw control and convert their first opportunity in front of net, taking the lead after 40 seconds of play.
- Keiser would counter with Abbey Cannon finding Milena Isturiz in front of the goal who tied the game with 13:03 showing.
- The Bobcats reclaimed the lead with 7:19 on the clock with Jorja Schooler getting her second of the game.
- Talia Myers tied the contest on a free position attempt with 6:13 left in the first.
- STU would convert their own free-position attempt before Chloe Foley found the back of the net to tie the game at 3-3 heading into the second quarter.
Keiser 8, St. Thomas 4
- Foley would continue her momentum into the second quarter, scoring on the first possession following the draw control.
- The two sides would go scoreless for the next 10 minutes before Isturiz got her second goal of the game on a free position attempt.
- Isturiz would win the ensuing draw control and run through the defense to complete her hat trick with 4:29 left in the half.
- St. Thomas would get a goal back on a free position goal by Noelle Heggblod to make it 6-4 with just over two minutes to play.
- Keiser took advantage of a late yellow card by the Bobcats as Hayley Frew got on the scorecard with her first of the day with 34 seconds on the clock.
- Rebecca Gibson would win the draw control and press it forward as Foley would find Isturiz for her fourth goal before the end of the half with Keiser leading, 8-4.
Keiser 15, St. Thomas 5
- Samantha Esher opened the scoring for Keiser in the second half off an assist from Sydney Passaro.
- STU’s Jenna Lytch would find the back of the net for the second time of the day with 12:08 on the clock but it would be the last Bobcats’ goal of the game.
- Cannon tallied her third assist with 11:37 on the clock, finding Esher who finished the opportunity to make it 10-5.
- Emily McCall got on the board with her first goal coming with 9:55 left in the third to put KU up 11-5.
- Three minutes later Kamille Thomas scored her fourth of the year to grow the Seahawks’ lead.
- Another card for the Bobcats meant more opportunities for Keiser as MacKenzie Gibaud muscled her way in front of net to sink her first of the day.
- Mayrin Rushford and Carli Chretien would close out the quarter with a goal each to give the Seahawks a ten-goal advantage heading to the final 15 minutes.
Keiser 20, St. Thomas 5
- Foley would finish her hat trick to begin the fourth, extending Keiser’s lead to 16-5.
- Gibaud and Thomas would follow with each of their second goals to put KU up 18-5 with 6:22 left in the game.
- With 4:31 left in the contest, Gabriella Pantaleo scored her first career goal for the Seahawks to make it a 19-5 game.
- Gibaud would get her hat trick just before the end of the game to secure the 20-5 win and the first Sun Conference Regular Season Title for Keiser.
- 11: Keiser ended the game on an 11-0 scoring run and had 11 different goal scorers on the afternoon.
- 11: Isturiz recorded a career-high 11 draw controls on the afternoon, the best mark this season for KU.
- 5/42: With five caused turnovers in the game, Rebecca Gibson has set a new season record in the category with 42 and counting.
- 5/8: With five saves on the day, Cassidy Green recorded her eighth win of the season
- 4/4: Isturiz recorded four goals and four groundballs to lead the team in both categories.
- 4/3: M. Gibaud and Foley both tied with Isturiz for the points lead at four with three goals and an assist each.
- 3: For Gibaud, it was the first-career hat trick for the forward.
- 3: Cannon continues in her giving ways with three more assists to add to her season total of 25.
- 1: Pantaleo tallied her first career goal as a Seahawk in the game.
- 1: The Seahawks clinched the first Sun Conference Regular Season Title with a conference game to spare.
No. 1 Keiser
Points: Isturiz/M. Gibaud/Foley (4)
Goals: Isturiz (4)
Assists: Cannon (3)
Draw Controls: Isturiz (11)
Ground Balls: Isturiz (4)
Caused Turnovers: Gibson (5)
Saves: Green (5)
Points: Lytch/Schooler (2)
Goals: Lytch/Schooler (2)
Draw Controls: Schooler (6)
Ground Balls: Walters (3)
Caused Turnovers: Four Tied (1)
Saves: Dawson (11)
The Seahawks return to West Palm Beach, Fla. on Saturday, April 15 for their regular season finale against Ave Maria with the draw control set for 1:00 p.m.
Get the latest information on the team by following Keiser_wlax on Instagram, and Keiser wlax on Twitter.
General athletic news can be found at KUSeahawks on Facebook, kuseahawks on Instagram, and kuseahawks on Twitter.