#1 Women’s Lacrosse Takes Down #4 Life Under the Lights, 11-8
via Keiser press release/website
Score: No. 1 Keiser 11, No. 4 Life 8
Records: No. 1 Keiser (10-0, 2-0 SUN), No. 4 Life (6-2, 1-1 SUN)
Location: Multi-Purpose Field, West Palm Beach, Fla.
The bright lights were shining in West Palm Beach and so was No. 1 Keiser women’s lacrosse as the Seahawks defeated the No. 4 Life Running Eagles, 11-8.
Keiser 3, Life 3
- Milena Isturiz opened the scoring for the Seahawks at the 10:52 mark to put KU ahead early.
- Less than a minute later, Hayley Frew picked up a groundball before running towards the net, bouncing off three different defenders, and finally firing in a goal to make it 2-0.
- One of the top scorers in the country, Maria Arvizu put the Running Eagles on the board less than a minute after that to cut the deficit to one.
- With 7:46 on the clock, Abbey Cannon found a crease in the defense and scored to bring the Seahawks’ lead up to 3-1.
- Life would end the quarter with back-to-back goals to make it 3-3 heading into the second quarter of play.
Keiser 7, Life 5
- Keiser had their fourth different goal scorer of the night to start the second quarter with Samantha Esher fighting through the contact to get the finish.
- Following Arvizu’s third goal of the game, Abbey Cannon grabbed a loose ball in front of the net and fired it in to put Keiser up 5-4 with 8:07 left in the half.
- Life got a goal back with 5:20 left on a free position attempt by Lacy Legaspi to tie the game once again.
- The Seahawks would take advantage of a woman-up situation with Esher finding Frew in front of the net who netted her second of the game to give KU the lead.
- Chloe Foley would send the Seahawks into the half with a 7-5 lead after scoring with 26 seconds to play in the first half.
- With the first half in the books, Cassidy Green totaled eight saves, only allowing five goals.
Keiser 7, Life 5
- A rare scoreless third quarter did not lack shots for either side with Life outshooting Keiser 8-6 in the period.
- Four of the 14 shots bounced off the post or crossbar in the quarter.
- Each of the goalies made two saves to keep it 7-5 headed into the fourth.
Keiser 11, Life 8
- After being held scoreless through the first three quarters, Talia Myers found the back of the net twice in the span of 30 seconds to give Keiser a 9-5 lead.
- Life would respond with back-to-back goals to cut the lead to 9-7 with 11:44 remaining.
- Both goalies would make big saves to keep the score at 9-7 before Arvizu tallied her fifth of the game to cut the lead to one with 4:23 still to play.
- With just over three minutes left, Frew used a screen from Myers to get open and bounce a shot into the net to put KU up by two, 10-8.
- Foley put the nail in the coffin with 1:18 remaining on a woman-up opportunity to give the Seahawks an 11-8 lead.
- The Running Eagles would get the final chance but a final save from Green would give Keiser possession who held it out for the win.
- 9/13: A career night in net for Green had her with a game-record nine groundballs and career-best 13 saves.
- 7: T. Myers recorded a team-best seven draw controls in the game.
- 4: Rebecca Gibson, Talia Myers, and Makena Myers all tallied four caused turnovers for the Seahawks.
- 4: Of the field players, Gibson and Isturiz each led the way with four groundballs each.
- 3: Frew, T. Myers, and Foley all recorded three points in the win with Frew totaling three goals.
- 1: Five different players were credited with an assist in the game.
- 27: Keiser improved to 27-18 all-time in ranked contests.
No. 1 Keiser
Points: Frew/T. Myers/Foley (3)
Goals: Frew (3)
Assists: T. Myers/Foley/Esher/Passaro/M. Gibaud (1)
Draw Controls: T. Myers (7)
Ground Balls: Green (9)
Caused Turnovers: Gibson/T. Myers/M. Myers (4)
Saves: Green (13)
No. 4 Life
Points: Arvizu (6)
Goals: Arvizu (5)
Assists: Arvizu / Legaspi (1)
Draw Controls: Arvizu (7)
Ground Balls: Hammel (10)
Caused Turnovers: Windon (6)
Saves: Hammel (10)
Keiser will have another quick turnaround this weekend with Webber International on Saturday in Babson Park, Fla.
Get the latest information on the team by following Keiser_wlax on Instagram, and Keiser wlax on Twitter.
General athletic news can be found at KUSeahawks on Facebook, kuseahawks on Instagram, and kuseahawks on Twitter.