#13 Rollins Dominates Westminster, 21-11
via Rollins press release/website, by Michael Pierce, photo by Mike Watters
Four Tars notched hat tricks in the win
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (March 13, 2023) – The Rollins men’s lacrosse team returned to the win column in a big way on Monday night, picking up a 21-11 road win at Westminster in Salt Lake City. The Tars improve to 6-1 with the victory, while the Griffins drop to 3-3.
Mikey Berkman poured in a season-high five goals to lead the Tars, while Grant Hansen chipped in with four goals, an assist, and two ground balls. Jack Johnstone netted four goals and William Metz added three goals. Shahé Katchadurian got the win to go to 5-1 on the year, making 12 saves while allowing 11 goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Hansen opened the scoring just 15 seconds into the game and Berkman followed with a goal of his own 34 seconds later, giving Rollins a 2-0 advantage in less than a minute.
- The Tars doubled the lead over the next 10 minutes with goals from Hansen and Metz before Westminster scored two goals in the final minute to make it a 4-2 game after one quarter.
- Berkman was the first to score in the second, with the Griffins getting the next two to cut the deficit to 5-4.
- Metz and Berkman found the net next, re-establishing a three-goal cushion at 7-4, before another Griffin goal made it 7-5.
- From that point, the Tars were nearly unstoppable, as Rollins scored the next 10 consecutive goals, including markers from Justin Spencer, Berkman, and Hansen before halftime to push the lead to 10-5.
- The third quarter was all Tars as Johnstone scored a pair of goals, along with single tallies from Hansen, Metz, Justin White, Samuel Hartmann, and Berkman, increasing the margin to 17-5 with 4:26 left in the quarter.
- Westminster got a goal with 2:07 on the clock to make it 17-6 heading to the fourth.
- Ian Dean scored the first goal of the fourth, after which the Griffins netted three straight to make it an 18-9 game.
- Chad Bulera got the next goal and Johnstone put home two more in the final five minutes to match Westminster’s two late goals as the Tars easily walked away with a 21-11 win.
The Tars will have an extended break before returning to the field on Saturday, March 25 as they open SSC play on the road at Embry-Riddle. That game is set for 1 p.m. in Daytona Beach.
Fans can follow the Tars all season long at RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.