Skip to main content

Embry-Riddle: Comeback Falls Just Short for Men’s Lacrosse in 8-6 Setback Against Lander

Written by Lee Roggenburg on . Posted in , , , .

via Embry-Riddle press release, by Ryan Mosher – photo by Tavana Mercado


SAVANNAH, Georgia – The Embry-Riddle men’s lacrosse team flipped a 5-0 deficit at halftime into just a two-goal deficit in the fourth quarter on Saturday afternoon, but the Eagles (3-7) couldn’t quite complete the comeback, falling to Lander, 8-6. The Eagles out-shot the Bearcats (6-3), 34-32, and dominated the face offs, 12-for-18, while also converting 4-of-7 extra-man opportunities, but the Bearcats’ 5-0 halftime lead proved to be enough separation to send the Eagles to the two-goal defeat.

The Bearcats got on the board early, striking for the first goal of the day in under a minute of game action, and added a second goal a few minutes later. The Eagles had several shots in the first period, but couldn’t find the back of the net, and Lander took a 3-0 lead into the second quarter.

Gage Poindexter had a tremendous opportunity to get the Eagles into the scoring column early in the second, but a team save by the Bearcats kept their shutout intact, and they turned it into a goal on the other end to go up 4-0.

The second quarter was low-scoring, with only two goals being registered, both by Lander as the Bearcats owned a 5-0 lead heading into the half.

The halftime adjustments made by the Eagle coaching staff worked right away as the Blue and Gold got its first goal of the day when Matt Ryan scored with 12:04 on the clock in the third, but the Bearcats answered with two of their own to take their biggest lead of the day at 7-1.

Ryan scored again with just under six minutes to play in the third, and that would kick start a 5-1 Eagle run over the last quarter-plus.

Marcus Needham’s goal at the 3:09 mark cut the Lander lead to four, but just 30 seconds later the Bearcats would score their final goal of the contest for an 8-3 advantage.

The fourth quarter was dominated by Embry-Riddle, starting with a Coleman Jacobs score 70 seconds into the period.

Just a few minutes later Jacobs would do it again, getting a pass from Pete Abbes and burying his second goal of the day to trim the Lander lead to 8-5.

Neither team would score from the 12-minute mark until Needham’s second score of the game with 6:40 left to play, making the score 8-6.

Over the final six minutes, the Eagles were stymied by the Bearcats, unable to register a shot as Lander was able to run out the clock for the most part to secure the 8-6 win.

Jacobs, Ryan and Needham all finished with two goals, while Lucas Fraser made 11 saves in goal for the Blue and Gold.

Embry-Riddle enters Sunshine State Conference play next weekend when the Eagles travel to Winter Park to take on Rollins at 4 p.m.