via FSC press release
LAKELAND, FL- Florida Southern College men’s lacrosse picked up a non-conference victory over CSU-Pueblo on Tuesday evening at Moccasin Field. Senior Joe Appio scored five goals for the Mocs (5-3, 1-0 SSC) in an 18-6 victory over the Thunderwolves (3-2).
Appio led the offense with five goals, Sean Nolan had three goals while Kyle Silverstein and Lucas Sommers recorded a pair of goals each. Six additional Mocs recorded scores in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern opened the game on a 5-0 run. Just a minute into the game Liam Winwood took a feed from Kyle Silverstein to open the game’s scoring. Austen Lison put the home team up by two at the 12:09 mark in the first quarter. Joe Appio played a role in four of the final five goals for the Mocs in the first quarter. Appio assisted on goals from Jeff Atlas and Sean Nolan just six seconds apart. Freshman Lucas Sommers recorded his first collegiate goal at the 6:09 mark. Appio would record the eventual game-winning goal with 1:46 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Mocs would put five more goals in the back of the net in the second quarter. Appio would lead the quarter with three goals off feeds from Liam Winwood, Skylar Sarkisian, and Atlas. Florida Southern would take a 12-3 lead into the 10-minute break.
- The second half saw the Mocs score a trio of goals before CSU-Pueblo’s fourth goal on the night.
- Silverstein would start the scoring of the final quarter the same way he would end if with a man-up goal. Florida Southern would win 18-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern picked up its first victory all-time over CSU-Pueblo in the first meeting between the two programs.
- Florida Southern picked up 50 groundballs to CSU-Pueblo’s 25. FSC was 3-for-5 on man-up chances while CSU-P was successful on one of four man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 13 of the Thunderwolves 25 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made six saves on 10 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern. Joseph Pappaceno made two saves and Drew Van de Motter also made a save for the home team.
- Florida Southern hosts Belmont Abbey (March 22), and Colorado Mesa (March 24).