via UF press release – photo by Adam Trembley
Shannon Kavanagh scored five goals in the win on Friday afternoon
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The No. 11 Florida lacrosse team (4-2, 1-0 AAC) kicked off American Athletic Conference play on a high note, defeating the 25th-ranked Temple Owls (4-2, 0-1 AAC) 15-9 on Friday afternoon at Howarth Field.
The Gators move to 4-2 on the year, while Temple drops to 4-2 in the 2021 campaign.
Shannon Kavanagh led the way offensively for Florida, exploding for five goals, tying her season-best mark. Grace Haus recorded three goals – including her 100th career goal – for her second hat trick of the season. Brianna Harris notched two goals on the afternoon, tying her season-best, while five Gators each registered one goal in the game.
Maggi Hall posted a team-high two assists, while Kavanagh and Ashley Gonzalez each recorded one apiece.
Kavanagh led the way in the draw circle, coming up with three draw controls in the victory, while Emily Heller added two on the afternoon.
As a team, Florida recorded 11 caused turnovers, led by three from Kavanagh, tying her career-high. Hall and Cara Trombetta followed with two apiece.
Trombetta registered a career-high six groundballs in the victory, while five Gators each tallied two.
Sarah Reznick recorded 11 saves during her 57:36 in the cage, notching a .579 save percentage.
The Gators close out the series with the 25th-ranked Temple Owls on Sunday at Howarth Field. Opening draw is slated for 12 p.m. on ESPN+.
No. 11 Florida (4-2, 1-0 AAC)
No. 25 Temple (4-2, 0-1 AAC)
How It Happened
- Maggi Hall got the Gators off to the quick start, netting her first goal of the day just under two minutes into the game. Ashley Gonzalez followed, putting Florida up 2-0 with just under six minutes played on a pass from Hall.
- Temple found the back of the goal at the 22:48 mark, but Grace Haus answered with her 100th career goal, putting the Gators back ahead 3-1 with just under 22:30 left in the first half. Haus added another score less than two minutes later, putting Florida ahead 4-1.
- Kassidy Bresnahan scored her first goal of the day on a man-down opportunity, putting the Gators up 5-1 with just under 19 minutes left in the half. Danielle Pavinelli continued Florida’s scoring streak, putting Florida up five goals with 16:58 remaining in the first.
- Temple went on a 3-0 run to pull within two with just over five minutes remaining in the first frame, but Haus’ third goal of the day and second hat trick of the season gave Florida the three-goal lead going into the half.
- Out of the break, Brianna Harris netted her first of the day and was followed by Shannon Kavanagh‘s man-down goal, putting the Gators up five goals with 23:37 left to play.
- The Owls cut Florida’s lead to four, but Kavanagh (3) and Harris (1) combined for the next four goals to put Florida up 13-6 with just over 10 minutes remaining. Temple scored with 8:49 remaining, but Kavanagh found the back of the net for the fifth time to extend Florida’s lead back to seven goals at 14-7.
- Temple scored two late goals to pull within five at 14-9, but Hannah Mardiney notched her first goal of the season to put Florida ahead 15-9 and secure the conference victory.
Insight from O’Leary
- “Very proud of how we played today. We had a very good shooting day and played outstanding team defense. Everyone stepped up their game today and we came out with a good win over a very good Temple team. We will need to take this momentum into our game on Sunday. I thought Cara played very well holding Megan Hoffman to one assist on the day. Sarah played well in cage, making some timely saves. Shannon, Bri and Grace paced the offense and their shooting was spot on today.”
- With her three goals today, Grace Haus became just the 13th Gator to record 100 career goals
- Kavanagh has now recorded a hat trick in five of the six games this season
- Trombetta picked up a career-best six groundballs
- Hall recorded a career-high two caused turnovers on the afternoon
- Kavanagh tied her career-high with three caused turnovers in the game
- Streaking: Kavanagh’s 33 consecutive games with a goal is the second-longest streak in program history (Record – 40 games, Shayna Pirreca)
- When scoring at least 14 goals, the Gators are 137-2 (.986) in program history
- The Gators are now 10-0 against the Owls in program history
- Florida improves to 4-0 against Temple in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Since 2011, Florida has the third-most wins of any Division I women’s lacrosse program with 162
- The Gators are set to close out the series with No. 25 Temple on Sunday
- Opening draw is slated for 12 p.m. on ESPN+
No. 11 Florida at No. 25 Temple Broadcast Information – March 21
Time & Date: Sunday, March 21 | 12 p.m.
Live Stream: ESPN+
Live Stats: Statbroadcast
Series Information – No. 11 Florida at No. 25 Temple
Owls | 2021 season: 4-2, 0-1 AAC
- This is the 11th meeting between the Gators and Owls
- Florida holds the 10-0 series advantage
- Home: 4-0 | Away: 4-0 | Neutral: 2-0
- Last Meeting: March 19, 2021 | Philadelphia, Pa. | W, 15-9
Follow the Gators: