via FIT press release by Daniel Supraner
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final: Florida Tech 24, Davis & Elkins 0
Records: Florida Tech (3-0), Davis & Elkins (0-1)
Location: Panther Stadium | Melbourne, Fla.
- Rachel Johnson scored three of the first six goals of the game as the Panthers jumped out to a quick 6-0 advantage just 6:21 into the first quarter.
- Tech tallied six more unanswered goals in the first quarter, including two each from Kayla Minton and Karly Liebendorfer to increase the Panthers’ lead to 12-0 after 15 minutes.
- Four different Panthers found the back of the net in the second quarter, including Caroline MacLeod, Carly Niro, Kasia Lorenc and Kailee O’Brien, as they increased their lead to 16-0 at halftime.
- Seven Panthers accounted for Florida Tech’s final eight more goals of the game during the second half.
- Caroline Finn scored her first career goal for the Crimson & Gray to make the score 18-0 with 7:10 to go in the third quarter.
- Fallon Mears scoring twice during that span, including the last goal of the game on a woman-down situation with five seconds left in the fourth.
- Rachel Johnson led the way with 4 goals on 4 shots in the game.
- Kailee O’Brien recorded 3 goals, 1 assist, 2 draw controls, 1 ground ball and 1 caused turnover.
- Karly Liebendorfer tallied her first career hat-trick to go along with 4 draw controls, 3 ground balls and 3 caused turnovers.
- Millie Hurt and Carly Niro each finished with 1 goal, 2 assists, 2 ground balls and 2 caused turnovers.
- Charlotte Hardie ended with a goal, 2 assists and 3 draw controls.
- Kayla Minton and Fallon Mears each scored 2 goals while Caroline MacLeod tallied 2 goals while picking up 6 draw controls.
- Jennifer Boyle recorded a goal and an assist with 2 ground balls.
- Four Panthers scored one goal in the game.
- Cailey Canessa improved to 3-0 on the season without having to make a save in the Panthers’ net.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Panther defense held Davis & Elkins without a shot attempt in the contest while Tech placed 38 of its 40 total shots on goal.
- Tech finished with an edge in ground balls (26-8), caused turnovers (19-6) and draw controls (17-7).
- Panthers converted 11-17 free position attempts.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the first time in program history that Florida Tech has held an opponent without a shot in the game.
- Panthers’ 11 free position goals are the most in a game in program history.
- Florida Tech’s 24 goals matches the program’s single-game record set on March 5, 2018 in a 24-3 win over Alderson Broaddus.
- The 24-0 victory is the most goals the Panthers have scored in a shutout since blanking Wheeling 22-0 on March 1, 2017.
UP NEXT: Florida Tech travels to Greenville, TN on Wednesday, March 9 for a regional matchup with Tusculum at 6 p.m.
For the latest news, updates and information on the Florida Tech women’s lacrosse team, visit FloridaTechSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Panthers news by following Florida Tech Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
SportsLowdown.com – Donny Rieber Jr.
Panthers Blank Davis & Elkins in Historical Fashion
The Florida Tech Panthers remained undefeated with a 24-0 win over Davis & Elkins on Sunday night. The Senators were not only shut out on the scoreboard, but they also did not register a shot against Florida Tech.
The 24 goals equal a program record that was set back on March 5, 2018, against Alderson Broaddus when the Panthers were ranked sixth in the country.
The scoring barrage started early and was spread out as the Panthers had 14 different players score at least one goal. Rachel Johnson had four goals to lead the charge, while Karly Liebendorfer had a hat trick and Kailee O’Brien had a hat trick and an assist.
Kayla Minton, Caroline MacLeod, and Fallon Mears had two goals apiece and eight players had one goal each including freshmen Kasia Lorenc and Caroline Finn who tallied their first collegiate goal. Mears’ first goal of the night was her first goal as a Panther as well.
Read the rest HERE