Skip to main content

SGR: Cardinal Gibbons in OT with the 14-13 win over King’s Academy

Written by Lee Roggenburg on . Posted in , , , .

Thanks to a Cardinal Gibbons parent for sending this in, it’s not the normal format, but certainly a nice recap! If the coaches want to send in the stats and the score by quarter, we’ll add to this!

Gibbons scored first to make it 1-0, but then Kings fired back quickly.  End of the first was Kings 6-2.  Gibbons with a solid second quarter with many adjustments on the defensive end which helped the offense get in a rhythm to close the half with a Kings lead 7-6.

Gibbons continued the momentum through the 3rd to take the lead and close the quarter Gibbons 10-9.  The fourth quarter was hard fought by both teams.  With a 31 seconds to go, Gibbons was man up (locked in) and down by 2 – Kings 13 – Gibbons 11.  Gibbons scored with 10 seconds left to make it Kings 13-12.  Kings faced off full strength, but they had too many men on the field because of the locked in penalty.  Gibbons ball.  Gibbons went down and scored with 8 seconds left to tie the game 13-13.  Kings won the FO and held it to send it to OT.  

In OT, King had the ball, settled the ball, moved it around, took 1:30 off the clock and took a shot that was saved, and Gibbons came up with a big GB.  Gibbons took it down, moved it around, shot off the goalie, GB scrum and out on Gibbons behind the goal.  Kings ball.  Kings time out. Kings sailed a pass, from the midfield line before going out of bounds, to their end of the field.  GB scrum behind the goal. Loose ball push on Kings. Gibbons ball.   Gibbons cleared it, moved it around a bit and pinged the top corner crossbar.  Kings won the GB.  Kings ball.  Gibbons with a hard ride and a forced turnover before the clear.  Gibbons ball.  Settled it.  Gibbons put the ball in motion with a dodge from the top side that drew the double and a pass was dumped off to the open man for a goal with 1:04 left on the 5:00 OT clock.  Gibbons with the win.