SSC Men: Rollins 12-8 over Lynn – Both Recaps
via the school press releases/websites
No. 7 Rollins Uses Third-Quarter Surge to Defeat Lynn, 12-8
The Tars outscored the Fighting Knights 6-1 in the third quarter on Saturday
BOCA RATON, Fla. (April 8, 2023) – The No. 7 Rollins men’s lacrosse team outscored Lynn 6-1 in the third quarter, which made the difference in a 12-8 victory for the Tars on Saturday. Rollins now stands at 9-1 on the year, 3-0 in conference, while the Fighting Knights drop to 6-7 overall, 1-3 in SSC play.
Mikey Berkman scored three goals and added an assist, while Grant Hansen tallied a goal and three assists to go along with four ground balls. Harrison Key added two goals, while Justin White, Samuel Hartmann, and William Metz all tallied a goal and an assist. Shahé Katchadurian (8-1) made 13 saves in a complete game win in goal for the Tars.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn got on the board early in the first quarter, but Ian Dean scored at the 4:26 mark to tie things up at a goal apiece.
- The Fighting Knights scored with just over a minute to play in the quarter, giving the home team a slight edge after 15 minutes of action.
- Lynn opened the scoring in the second quarter as well, taking a 3-1 lead.
- Hansen scored just over a minute later and William Metz found the net 2:40 after that, tying things up at three.
- After a Lynn goal, Logan Myers quickly responded 27 seconds later, tying the game at four at the half.
- Hartmann netted the first goal of the second half, with Berkman following that to give Rollins its first lead of the day at 6-4.
- After a Fighting Knights goal, Key scored twice in a 52-second span to make it 9-5 Tars.
- Jack Johnstone added the final marker of the third with 33 ticks on the clock, putting Rollins comfortably ahead, 10-5, heading to the fourth.
- Berkman netted a man-up goal to open the scoring in the fourth, making it 11-5.
- After Lynn got one back, White scored to put the Tars up 12-6 with 2:41 to play.
- The Fighting Knights scored two late goals to account for the 12-8 final score.
The Tars will be back at home on Wednesday, April 12, when they host No. 16 Florida Southern. That game is scheduled for an 8 p.m. start at Barker Family Stadium.
Becker scores four in narrow loss to No. 7 Rollins
BOCA RATON, Fla. – Graduate student Stephen Becker scored four goals and the Lynn University men’s lacrosse team hung tough with seventh-ranked Rollins for much of the afternoon before eventually suffering a 12-8 setback in SSC action, Saturday. The Fighting Knights settle at 6-7 overall on the season with their fourth loss to a ranked opponent this spring.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– Becker scored two of his four goals in the first half as Lynn played to a 4-4 tie at halftime
– Senior Thomas Murray scored the game’s first goal just 1:22 into action and Becker scored with 1:01 left in the first as the Fighting Knights led 2-1 after the first quarter
– Becker opened the second with a goal at 13:01 as the hosts led 3-1
– The Tars scored back-to-back goals before Murray took advantage of a Rollins penalty with a man-up goal for a 4-3 lead at 6:58
– Logan Myers scored at 6:31 to send the game into halftime at four goals each
– Lynn outshot Rollins 21-17 over the opening two quarters
– Sophomore Connor Houston scored Lynn’s only goal in the third quarter, while Rollins scored sox goals for an 10-5 lead after three
– Senior Jalen Stanton scored with 5:50 left in the fourth and Becker tacked on two more goals late in the fourth to set the final at 12-8
– Rollins outshot Lynn 43-39 and held a narrow 12-11 edge in face offs won
– Lynn was 24-of-26 on clears
– Graduate student Colin Casey finished with a season-high 19 saves
FIGHTING KNIGHT STATS:
– Becker finished with four goals on nine shots
– Stanton scored once and handed out two assists
– Senior Joseph Michalksi (two assists), Houston (one goal, one assist) and Murray (two goals) each finished with two points
– Sophomore Matthew Canedo scooped up three ground balls with two caused turnovers
– Graduate Michael Miocic won 11-of-23 faceoffs
– Lynn visits Palm Beach Atlantic on Wednesday at 6:00 pm