SSC Women: Tampa 18-7 Over FIT – Both Recaps
via the school’s press releases
No.7 Spartans Overpower Florida Tech
MELBOURNE, FL. – The No.7 University of Tampa women’s lacrosse team overpower conference foe Florida Tech to begin conference play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No.7 University of Tampa 18, Florida Institute of Technology 7
Records: Tampa (9-2, SSC 1-0), Florida Tech (8-3, SSC 0-1)
Location: Panther Field | Melbourne, Fl
HOW IT HAPPENED:
First Quarter: The game opens with Florida Tech getting on the board first. Tampa quickly responds with a goal of their own. From there, the game started rolling with Tampa going on a 6-0 run. Alex Walling came in clutch with her quick reflexes to prevent Florida Tech from scoring anymore goals. In the closing seconds of the quarter, Walling came up with two big saves forcing a change in direction on two desperate back to back shots from Florida Tech. Sophi Wrisk finished with a first quarter hattrick. The goals for the Spartans were scored as follows:
12:44 – Lizzie Pierpont, assisted by Cece Colombo
12:21 – Emma McLoughlin, assisted by Sarah Hinkle
10:20 – Sarah Hinkle, unassisted
8:01 – Sophi Wrisk, unassisted
7:16 – Sophi Wrisk, assisted by Alyssa Romano
5:43 – Cece Colombo, unassisted
2:25 – Sophi Wrisk, unassisted
Score: 7-2 (Tampa)
Second Quarter: Tampa opened the second quarter bringing the same intensity from the first. They went on another run, 7-0. Tampa controlled the pace of the game to be on their side for the entire half. Cece Colombo finished the half with five points, three goals and two assist. The Spartan goals headed into halftime were scored as follows:
12:44 – Gia Colombo, unassisted
11:18 – Cece Colombo, unassisted
8:45 – Mekelsey Montgomery, unassisted
8:34 – Sophi Wrisk, unassisted
5:55 – Cece Colombo, unassisted
3:15 – Lizzie Pierpont, assisted by Cece Colombo
1:37 – Emma McLoughlin, unassisted
Score: 14-2 (Tampa)
Third Quarter: The third quarter opened with Tampa getting out in front first. A 13-0 run by Tampa is broken with a goal by Florida Tech. Florida Tech went on a small run of their own scoring two goal back to back to finish the third. The Spartans goals were scored as follows:
14:15 – Emma McLoughlin, unassisted
Score: 15-4 (Tampa)
Fourth Quarter: In the last quarter, Florida Tech scored their fifth goal of the night uping their intensity. Sarah Hinkle responded with back to back goals continuing Tampa’s dominance. Florida Tech came back with another goal making the score 17-6 with six minutes left. Both teams scored again in the last 90 seconds of the matchup while Tampa came out victorious. The Spartan goals for the fourth quarter were scored as follows:
11:32 – Sarah Hinkle, unassisted
9:06 – Sarah Hinkle, assisted by Allie Peebles
1:37 – O’Neil Galinson, assisted by Sarah Hinkle
Final: 18-7 (Tampa)
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Sarah Hinkle led the team with six points (4 goals, 2 assist), Cece Colombo was right behind her with five points (3 goals, 2 assist)
- Sophi Wrisk finished with four goals
- Emma McLoughlin finished with a hattrick
- Alyssa Romano won six draw controls
- Cece Colombo and Gia Colombo both scooped up three ground balls
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Tampa outshot Florida Tech 33-21
- Tampa slightly edged Florida Tech in draw controls, 16-12
UP NEXT: The Spartans continue on the road as they compete against Saint Leo on March 31 at 7:00 p.m.
GAMEDAY MULTIMEDIA: Fans may watch all home games and Sunshine State Conference contests on TampaSpartans.tv. Live stats are also available through TampaStats.com. Follow UT Athletics: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
Text Alerts: UT also offers a free text messaging service that sends text alerts following all Spartan events. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.
Front Row: Download the official app of UT Athletics on the Apple or Android store. Look for the Tampa Spartans Front Row app to receive notifications from your favorite Spartan teams. The app is completely free.
No. 7 Spartans Snap Women’s Lacrosse Six Game Win Streak
MELBOURNE, FLA. – In the first game against a Sunshine State Conference opponent this season, The Florida Tech women’s lacrosse team’s six game win streak was halted by the No. 7 Tampa Spartans Saturday night as the Spartans defeated Tech 18-7.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: (RV) Florida Tech 7, #7 Tampa 18
Records: Florida Tech (8-3, 0-1 SSC) | Tampa (9-2, 1-0, SSC)
Locations: Rick Stottler Field | Melbourne, Fla.
- Jennifer Boyle got the Panthers on the board first against scoring 43 seconds into the game.
- Tampa answered back taking the lead with two unanswered goals.
- Boyle scored again ting the game up at 2-2.
- Tampa went on to score five unanswered goals taking a five-goal lead at 7-2 at the end of the first.
- The Spartans recorded seven unanswered goals throughout the third giving them a 14-2 lead at the end of the half.
- Tampa scored again to start off the third making it 15-2.
- Gabrielle Skowronski snapped the Panthers scoreless streak with an assist from Gillian Craig.
- Tampa recorded 13 goals in a row before Tech answered back.
- Boyle scored with 4:38 left in the third bringing it to 15-4 Florida Tech as time expired in the third.
- Craig scored first in the fourth for the Panthers bringing the game back to withing 10 goals.
- Tampa scored two unanswered goals pushing them to 17-5.
- Kayla Minton scored a woman up, assisted from Emma Angelo.
- The Spartans final goal of the game came with 1:37 remaining.
- Craigs second goal in the game finished out the contest as Tampa took home the win 18-7.
- Jennifer Boyle scores the Panthers only hat trick with three goals and no assist.
- Craig recorded three points, tying Boyle in points with two goals one assist.
- Boyle also led the Panthers with three ground balls.
- Kailee O’Brien recorded a team high three caused turnovers.
- Elizabeth Christ won a team high five draw controls.
- Emily Harris spent all 60:00 minutes in the goal for the Panthers making a total of eight saves.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa outshot Florida Tech 33-21 with Tampa recording 26 Shots on goals to Techs 13.
- Harris made eight saves to Tampa’s six.
- Tampa turned the ball over 12 times with Tech recording nine turnovers.
- The Spartans were 14-16 on clear attempts with the Panthers going 8-10 on clears.
- The Panthers fell two ground balls with Tampa recording 16 ground balls to Tech’s 14.
- Tampa outdrew the Crimson and Gray on draw controls 16-12.
UP NEXT: Florida Tech will next travel to Embry Riddle on Saturday, April 1st for a 1:00 PM game against the Eagles in an SSC matchup as the teams will raise awareness for the one love foundation
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Florida Tech women’s lacrosse team, visit FloridaTechSports.com. Fans can also stay up to date on the latest Panthers news by following Florida Tech Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.