West Orange Alum Mikey Berkman’s 5G/5A Leads #2 Rollins over Barton
via Rollins website/press release
No. 2 Tars Beat Bulldogs, 18-11
Rollins improves to 2-0 on the season
WILSON, N.C. (February 10, 2024) – The second-ranked Rollins men’s lacrosse team bounced back from a slow first quarter to blow past Barton on Saturday, 18-11. The Tars move to 2-0 on the season, while the Bulldogs drop to 0-2.
Mikey Berkman led all players with a career-high 10 points on five goals and five assists, while Grant Hansen added four goals and an assist. Thomas Garvin was 12-for-21 in faceoffs while also collecting a game-high six ground balls. Shahé Katchadurian (2-0) made nine saves on 20 shots, playing the full 60 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Barton jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first 4:01 of the game.
- Max Armitage found the back of the net just under six minutes into the contest to open the scoring for the Tars.
- A man-up goal from Hansen a few minutes later made it 3-2, but the Bulldogs would add another goal and keep Rollins off the board over the final 6:16 of the period to hold a 4-2 advantage after one quarter.
- Justin White scored his first of the year 1:23 into the second, and a little less than two minutes later, Hansen’s second of the game tied things up at four.
- The Bulldogs retook the lead, but only for 20 seconds, as Berkman got his first of the day at the 10:23 mark to make it 5-5.
- Benjamin Kopen put the Tars in front for the first time with his first of the year at the 5:43 mark.
- Berkman’s second goal of the game made it 7-5 with 3:23 to go before halftime.
- Barton tallied two goals in the final 2:15 of the half, with Jack Johnstone also scoring between those goals to keep the lead for Rollins, though it was cut to 8-7 with just five seconds left in the half.
- The Tars dominated the third quarter, outscoring the Bulldogs 8-1.
- Charlite Metz got things started 50 seconds into the period, with Will Brandt following up less than two minutes later with a goal to make it 10-7.
- Only seven seconds after that, Berkman netted his third of the day, and Hansen was close behind with his third of the game less than a minute later.
- Berkman and White each scored man-up goals just past the midway point of the quarter to push the lead to 14-7.
- After a Barton goal, Berkman and Johnstone scored just nine seconds apart, ballooning the advantage to 16-8.
- Hansen scored his fourth of the game at the 10:26 mark of the fourth and Sam Mattson scored less than minute later to make it a 10-goal deficit at 18-8.
- Barton tallied the final three markers of the game, with Rollins cruising to an 18-11 victory.
The Tars will be off for two weeks, with their next contest slated to be the home opener on Saturday, February 24 against No. 20 Anderson. That game is set to begin at 1 p.m.