NEWARK, Del. — Over the course of the day at Battle of the Hotbeds plenty of athletes impressed Rankings Expert Tom Peace, but at the end of the day only 20 make Tomâ€™s Top 20.
The Battle of the Hotbeds is a four-day competitive recruiting camp held at the University of Delaware. Teams plays in 12 to 14 games over the course of four days, and on Tuesday night two All-Star games take center stage to showcase some of the best players in the class of 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Key: athlete, grad. year, high school (city, state), position (club team)
1. Michael Rastivo, 2012, Ward Melville (East Setauket, N.Y.), attack (Ward Melville)
Rastivo has the skills and leadership to be a Division I player.
2. Nick Mazza, 2013, Calverton School (Davidsonville, Md.), midfield (SMS Elite)
Mazza has a complete game and should flourish the next two years in high school.
3. Brendan Smith, 2012, West Islip (West Islip, N.Y.), attack (West Islip)
Smith has good feet, quick hands and some nice moves to get to the goal.
4. John Edmonds, 2012, Ward Melville (East Setauket, N.Y.), midfield (Ward Melville)
Edmonds moves like a gazelle. He has a smooth game.
5. Brendan Francis, 2012, Ponte Vedra (Ponte Vedra, Fla.), attack (Florida Hammerheads)
Francis has impressed this summer and continued the trendÂ at Hotbeds. A year at Navy Prep should allow Brendan to be prepared for the next level.