#1 Tampa Opens with 13-7 Win Over #15 FIT – Both Recaps
via school press releases, photo by FIT’s Josiann Keenan
No.1 Tampa Puts on Show in Opening Day Win
MELBOURNE, Fla. – The No.1 ranked University of Tampa Spartans men’s lacrosse team defeat the No.15 Florida Tech Panthers in season opener.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 1 Tampa 13, No. 15 Florida Tech 7
Records: Tampa Spartans (1-0), Florida Tech Panthers (0-1)
Location: Panther Field || Melbourne, FL
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The first quarter would open with Alex Poma winning the faceoff for the Spartans. Harry Kilkowski netted the first goal of the season for Tampa, off a pass from teammate Charlie Ruoss. The Panthers answered the Spartan goal just two minutes later to tie the matchup. Luke McAnaney got the Spartans back in the lead less than one minute later. A.J. Pascarella netted a late goal to put Tampa in the lead by two goals headed into the second quarter.
09:58 – Luke McAnaney, unassisted
03:14 – A.J. Pascarella, unassisted
Score: 3-1 Tampa
The second quarter would begin similarly to the first, with both teams playing well defensively. Daniel Fitzpatrick found McAnaney in front of the net to build the Spartan lead to three goals. The Panthers found the back of the net with nine minutes left in the quarter to cut into the Spartans’ lead. Fitzpatrick answered with a strike of his own to get the Spartan lead back where it was. Florida Tech netted two unanswered goals, getting within one of the Tampa lead. Freshman Jackson Bashaw found veteran defenseman Matthew Beddow late in the quarter to build the goal difference to two. With just under one minute left, the Panthers were forced to call a timeout. Jackson Day netted a last second goal to put the Spartans up by three at the half.
08:09 – Daniel Fitzpatrick, unassisted
00:01 – Jackson Day, unassisted
Score: 7-4 Tampa
The second half would begin with the Spartans on the penalty kill, after taking an early penalty. Tampa would keep the Panthers off the board with the extra man, but the Panthers got through the defense with ten minutes left in the quarter. Tampa would answer less than one minute later behind Charlie Bolesh‘s first goal of the game. With five minutes left, Florida Tech found the back of the net twice and got within one goal of the Tampa lead. Behind a late goal from Kilkowski, the Spartans would hold onto their lead with a two goal cushion headed into the final fifteen 15 minutes.
09:16 – Charlie Bolesh, unassisted
Score: 9-7 Tampa
The Spartans would come into the last quarter swinging, with Canyon Birch netting two early goals assisted by Kilkowski to gain a four goal lead over the Panthers. The Spartan offense came to life in the last quarter, with all the momentum on their side after Owen Miller‘s two goal effort with six minutes left to play. Overall, the Spartan offense became too much for the Panthers to handle.
06:33 – Owen Miller, unassisted
Final: 13-7 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Four different Spartans would net two goals in the contest (McAnaney, Kilkowski, Miller, and Birch)
- Fitzpatrick and Kilkowski each recorded a team high two assists in the matchup
- Tampa ended the game on a 5-0 run
UP NEXT: The Spartans will play their first game of the 2023 season on home turf Saturday the 11th at 1:00 p.m.
Florida Tech Drops Season Opener Against #1 Tampa
Melbourne, Fla. – Florida Tech men’s lacrosse opened the 2023 season at home against defending national champions Tampa.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Tech 7, #1 Tampa 13
Records: Florida Tech (0-1, 0-0 SSC) | Tampa (1-0, 0-0 SSC)
Locations: Panther Field | Melbourne, Fla.
- Tampa was first on the board to go up 1-0 with 12:04 left.
- Zach Rozgonyi tallied Tech’s first goal of the season two minutes later with an assist from Noah Stecher.
- The Spartans grabbed two more goals to end the period up 3-1.
- Luke McAnaney of Tampa scored his second goal of the game with 13:14 to go, but Rozgonyi answered back with a man-up goal.
- Less than a minute later, the Spartans found the back of the net to go up 5-2.
- Two consecutive goals from Rozgonyi and Nate Deplancke closed the gap 5-4. Assists by Jakob Terpak and Justin Carte.
- Tampa accounted for the final two goals of the period to take a 7-4 lead.
- Rozgonyi opened the third period with a man-up goal with 10:25 to go.
- Tampa answered back a minute later before Tech recorded two straight from Collin Stewart and Deplancke.
- With 1:13 remaining, Tampa found the back of the net to go up 9-7.
- Spartans’ added four more in the fourth to walk away with a 13-7 win.
- Rozgonyi led Tech with four goals, one groundball, and one caused turnover.
- Deplancked recorded two goals, five groundballs, one caused turnover.
- Stewart added one goal.
- Gavin Wessel tallied five groundballs and one caused turnover
- Sam Balch finished with two caused turnovers
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- Tampa ended with an edge in shots (42-36)
- Florida Tech led in groundballs (30-25) and faceoffs (12-11).
- Tech went 14-18 on clears while Tampa finished 17-20.
UP NEXT: Florida Tech will be back in action Saturday, Feb. 18 on the road against Flagler at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates and information on the Florida Tech men’s lacrosse team, visit FloridaTechSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Panthers news by following Florida Tech Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.