via Lynn press release
Salt Lake City, Utah – Lynn University’s men lacrosse team capped its trip out west to the Rocky Mountains on a high note Tuesday afternoon, defeating Westminster College 11-9 in nonconference action. Keegan Maxwell was locked in offensively, scoring nearly half of the Fighting Knights’ goals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 11, Westminster 9
Records: Lynn (2-1), WC (2-1)
Location: Dumke Field | Salt Lake City, Utah
All-time Series: Lynn leads 2-0
Get Social: Twitter – @Lynn_Knights | Instagram – @Lynn_Knights | Facebook – /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Fighting Knights held an 8-4 lead at the half, but the Griffins came out firing in the third quarter, outscoring Lynn 3-1. Both teams put away two goals in the final 10 minutes as Lynn held on for the two-goal victory.
- Maxwell scored the first goal of the game and never looked back, finishing with a career-high five goals. All seven of his shot attempts hit the frame and he even co-led the squad in ground balls with six.
- Conrad Rhein logged a three-point game behind two goals and an assist while Conor Vaughan struck for two first-half goals.
- Nick McCabe registered a goal and a helper with Caleb Wells tallying a goal late in the game.
- Xander Cosenza recorded two assists, but all five of his shot attempts were off target.
- Dryden Brous took all 22 faceoffs, winning 13, while co-leading the team in the ground ball department with six pickups.
- Collin McClelland had a stout game in net as the goalkeeper logged 10 saves and a 52.6 save percentage.
- Greg Morissette had another strong showing defensively, boasting two caused turnovers with three ground balls.
- Peter Masters added three GBs and a caused turnover.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn hosted Westminster in Boca Raton last season with the Fighting Knights winning 14-9. The Griffins served 11 minutes of penalty time on nine infractions while the Blue and White scored a program-record six man-up goals.
- This is the ninth occurrence in program history that a Fighting Knight has scored five or more goals in a game. Maxwell is the seventh player to ever accomplish the feat.
- After reaching No. 15 last week, the Blue and White were dropped from this week’s USILA National Rankings yesterday following the team’s loss to Colorado Mesa on Saturday.
- This is the program’s first trip out West for in-season competition.
- Both opponents on this road trip, Colorado Mesa and Westminster, are a part of the NCAA’s South Region with Lynn.
- The Lynn defense has surrendered 10 goals or less in all three games so far this season.
Lynn returns home to host North Greenville this Saturday, March 9, at 12 p.m.