Saint Leo Women: Kaylah Walstad’s Goal Clinches Women’s Lacrosse 12-11 Overtime Win at Mt. Olive
via Saint Leo press release BOX SCORE SAINT LEO, Fla. – The Saint Leo women’s lacrosse team clinched a 12-11 victory in the second overtime period at Mt. Olive on Friday afternoon. The decision marks the Trojans first defeat of 2019 moving the host’s record to 4-1 overall. The Lions’ victory extends their perfect start to a 3-0 record under the direction of second-year head coach Caitlin Hansen. Saint Leo trailed 4-3 with four minutes left in the first half. The Saint Leo offense responded with a three-goal run off the sticks of Kaylah Walstad, Lexie Walstad, and Janee DeLuca, who was assisted by Leslie Ferguson. The first half two-goal lead proved necessary for the Lions. Both teams took alternating turns scoring, moving the game to 9-7. Mount Olive broke the pattern with a three-goal run to retake the lead 10-9 with 13:32 left on the clock. Leslie Ferguson displayed a huge offensive burst scoring two goals in the span of 62 seconds. Up by one (11-10), Saint Leo couldn’t hold onto the lead as Mount Olive converted a free position shot to take the game to overtime. The first overtime period came and went scoreless. At 2:15, Kaylah Walstad ended the barn burner for the Saint Leo victory. “We knew a win today would have to be a team effort,” said Hansen. “We saw great all-out effort from our entire defensive unit. Haley Campbell, Neely Regan, Mackenzie Cotter, Marisa Souchak and Ashley Salvett all had multiple big plays from ground balls to checks to backing up the shot that gave us possessions when we needed them.” “I am very proud of the team today and now we can turn our attention to Edinboro to close out the trip.” Stat Highlights
- Leslie Ferguson earned four points scoring three goals and one assist.
- Janee DeLuca also scored a hat-trick with three goals.
- Kaylah Walstad put up three points scoring a pair of goals and one assist.
- Lexie Walstad also netted a pair of goals.
- Saint Leo took advantage of every FPS awarded going 5-for-5.
- Mount Olive took 26 shots over Saint Leo’s 18. The hosts also won the draw control battle; 13-11 and ground ball count; 13-9.
- Erin Davis protected the Lions net with six saves. Rebecca Halley finished up the work in goal to earn the win. She saw 17 minutes of action earning a save.
- In 2018, during Hansen’s first year at the helm, the program reset its best season start to 6-0.
- Five Lions have scored in every game of the early 2019 season; Lexie Walstad, Janee DeLuca, Leslie Ferguson, Kaylah Walstad and Sabrina Sanacore.