FIT: Men’s Lacrosse Falters in Second Half to #5 Lenoir-Rhyne
via FIT press release/website, by Christina Hardman
DURHAM, N.C. – No.5 Lenoir-Rhyne shut down Tech to hand the Panthers a 20-11 loss. Tech moves to 3-2 on the season.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 15 Florida Tech 11, No. 5 Lenoir-Rhyne 20
Records: Florida Tech (3-2, 0-0 SSC) | Lenoir-Rhyne (6-1, 0-0 SAC)
Locations: Durham Memorial Stadium | Durham, N.C.
- Lenoir-Rhyne was first on the board to go up 1-0 with 10:07 to go but the Panthers scored three straight goals to take a 3-1 lead with 4:06 left.
- Zach Rozgonyi tallied the first goal off an assist from Nate Deplancke to tie it up 1-1.
- 30 seconds later, Jakob Terpak found the back of the net on an unassisted effort.
- Collin Stewart extended the lead 3-1 with 4:06 left of the clock.
- LR posted two goals to end the opening quarter tied 3-3, with the final goal coming on a man-up.
- Five straight for the bears would put Tech down 8-4 with 4:01 remaining.
- Tech went on a 3-1 run to close out the half and cut the deficit.
- Stewart and Justin Carte each posted an unassisted goal.
- Luke Policke closed out the period with an assist from Rozgonyi to go into the break down 9-6.
- Carrying the momentum into the third period, Stewart and Rozgonyi teamed up to make it 9-7 with 13:59 on the clock.
- The energy didn’t last long as LR went on a 5-1 run to put Tech down 14-8. Tech goals came from Policke with 6:47 to go.
- Back-to-back Tech goals to open the final period cut into the Bear’s lead 14-10.
- Stewart accounted for a man-up goal on an assist from Terpak just 30 seconds into the quarter.
- Policke followed on another man-up goal a minute later, scoring off a Carte assist.
- LR went on to outscore Tech 6-1, with four straight man-up goals, to end the game.
- Deplancke scored Tech’s final goal on a feed from Terpak.
“We can’t continually take penalties and think we’re going to compete against tough opponents,” said head coach Brad MacArthur. “All of our players need to be held accountable.
“The standards we’re aiming for are high, and we have yet to meet them. Unfortunately, we are not sacrificing or trusting each other. Our guys know it is time to quit talking about it and start putting themselves in the line of fire and be great teammates.”
- Collin Stewart led Tech with four goals and five ground balls.
- Luke Policke tallied three goals
- Four other Panthers posted one goal each, Nate Deplancke, Zach Rozgonyi, Justin Carte, and Jakob Terpak.
- Rozgonyi and Terpak each recorded one assist.
- Sam Balch finished with two caused turnovers and three ground balls.
- Cooper Leonard went 16-for-28 on face offs and tallied five ground balls.
- In net, Jax Francisco posted a career-high 15 saves on 35 shots on goal.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE:
- LR ended with the edge in shots (60-34) and ground balls (32-29).
- Bears went 17-20 on clears and 6-12 on man-up opportunities, while Tech went 12-16 on clears and 2-5 on man-up opportunities.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Tech moves to 2-6 all-time against Lenoir-Rhyne.
UP NEXT: Florida Tech looks to bounce back Tuesday, March 14, at Barton. The contest is set for 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates and information on the Florida Tech men’s lacrosse team, visit FloridaTechSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Panthers news by following Florida Tech Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.