via Rollins press release/website, by Michael Pierce, photo by Mike Watters
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (March 11, 2023) – The Rollins men’s lacrosse team suffered its first defeat of the season on Saturday, dropping a 15-10 decision to Colorado Mesa in a neutral-site game hosted by Westminster. The Tars fall to 5-1 on the year, while the Mavericks go to 6-1.
Grant Hansen led the Tars with three points on two goals and an assist, while also picking up a team-high four ground balls. Justin White, William Metz, and Harrison Key all chipped in with two goals each. Shahé Katchadurian (5-1) took the loss, making 11 saves on 26 shots faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Mavericks opened the scoring, but Hansen quickly answered to tie the game at 1-1.
- After another CMU goal, Metz notched his first of the game to knot things up at two.
- Colorado Mesa scored the final goal of the first with 2:20 to play, giving the Mavericks a 3-2 lead.
- A Mavericks goal 3:18 into the second doubled their lead to 4-2, but Key cut the deficit in half less than two minutes later with his first goal of the contest.
- Following another CMU tally, White found the net with 6:35 on the clock to make it a 5-4 game.
- Colorado Mesa got the next two goals before Hansen and White both scored their second goals of the game in the closing minutes of the half, getting Rollins back to within a goal at 7-6 before the break.
- CMU opened the scoring for the third straight quarter with an early goal, but Metz and Key were the next two to find the net, leveling the score at 8-8.
- Both defenses were solid over the final 9:24 of the third, with just one Maverick goal being added to the total, making it a 9-8 game heading to the fourth.
- Colorado Mesa scored 38 seconds into the quarter to go up 10-8, but Logan Myers answered quickly to make it a one-goal game yet again.
- The Mavericks got the next two goals, and although Metz scored with 3:21 to make it 12-10, CMU added three late goals to pull away for the 15-10 win.
The Tars will stay in Salt Lake City to face Westminster on Monday, March 13, in a game set to start at 8 p.m. Eastern (6 p.m. Mountain).
Fans can follow the Tars all season long at RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.