Flagler Women 18-6 over FIT – Both School Recaps
via the school press releases/websites
Women’s lacrosse opens the season by overpowering the Panthers
by Grace Schwab – photo via Gulf South Conference
MELBOURNE, Fla. – The Flagler College women’s lacrosse team set a precedent in tonight’s season opener at the Florida Institute of Technology, overpowering the Panthers 18-6.
Saints captain Kaitlyn Trainor kicked off the Flagler offense scoring her first of four goals at 6:37 in the first quarter.
The Panthers responded with their first goal of the game by Sophia Scichilone with only 3:30 left in the quarter tying up the game.
The second quarter started off with a Panther goal within the first three minutes.
The Saints fired back with unassisted goals by both Jessica Wright and Claudia Tanksley.
The two teams fired back and forth with captain Jordan Green scoring, cutting Flagler’s deficit to 4-3 with 5:06 left in the half.
Flagler truly dialed into its offense when freshman Delaney Brown scored her first collegiate goal in the last 14 seconds of the half followed by captain Carly LaFerriere scoring on a man-up free position shot with exactly one second left bringing the score to 6-5, Saints.
Flagler continued to hold off Tech the entire third quarter scoring five unanswered goals, making it 11-5.
The Saints have their equally strong defensive unit to thank for this, with a total of 12 groundballs, five caused turnovers, and a standout performance by goalie Lauren Ribadeneira with 10 saves.
The Saints had another high-scoring quarter to end the game 18-6.
Up next for the Saints will be their home opener against Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University on Feb. 11 at 1 p.m.
Be the first to know what’s going on with the Saints — Follow @FlaglerSports on Twitter, follow FlaglerSports on Instagram, become a fan of Flagler College Athletics on Facebook and subscribe to the Flagler College Athletics e-newsletter to receive the latest news, schedule updates and to interact with Flagler Athletics.
|06:37||FLG – Katelyn Trainor Assisted by Sydney Onega||1||0|
|03:33||FIT – Sophia Scichilone Assisted by Charlotte Hardie||1||1|
|12:40||FIT – Rachel Johnson||1||2|
|12:12||FLG – Jessica Wright||2||2|
|11:17||FLG – Claudia Tanksley||3||2|
|07:58||FIT – Carly Niro||3||3|
|05:06||FLG – Jordan Green||4||3|
|02:08||FIT – Charlotte Hardie||4||4|
|01:05||FIT – Sophia Scichilone||4||5|
|00:14||FLG – Delaney Brown||5||5|
|00:01||FLG – Carly LaFerriere||6||5|
|13:27||FLG – Carley Tepel||7||5|
|11:31||FLG – Katelyn Trainor||8||5|
|06:28||FLG – Jessica Wright||9||5|
|03:54||FLG – Katelyn Trainor||10||5|
|00:03||FLG – Katelyn Trainor||11||5|
|13:34||FLG – Kate Piscopo||12||5|
|09:03||FIT – Gillian Craig||12||6|
|08:18||FLG – Jordan Green||13||6|
|07:13||FLG – Ella Pinder||14||6|
|06:48||FLG – Jessica Wright||15||6|
|05:26||FLG – Delaney Brown Assisted by Katelyn Trainor||16||6|
|04:07||FLG – Carley Tepel||17||6|
|00:35||FLG – Delaney Brown Assisted by Ella Pinder||18||6|
The Saints March on Past the Panthers
Melbourne, Fla. – The Florida Tech women’s lacrosse team was defeated by the Flagler Saints, who are receiving votes in the IWLCA polls, by a score of 18-7 Saturday, February 4th in the Panthers season opener at Rick Stottler Field.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Florida Tech 6, Flagler 18
Records: Florida Tech (0-1, 0-0 SSC) | Flagler (1-0, 0-0 GSC)
Locations: Rick Stottler Field | Melbourne, Fla.
- Flagler was first on the board to go up 1-0 with 6:37 left in the first
- Sophia Scichilone got the Panther’s first goal of the season with an assist from Charlotte Hardie with 3:33 to go in the 1st and headed into the second quarter tied 1-1.
- Rachel Johnson put Tech up 2-1 to start of the second quarter before Flagler recorded two more goals of their own to go back up 3-2.
- The Panthers would tie the game up again at 3-3 with a goal from Carly Niro, before Flagler would jump ahead just above two minutes later to make it 4-3, Saints.
- Charlotte Hardie then recorded her first goal of the season a woman up with 2:08 to go before half before Scichilone scored her second goal of the night a minute and three seconds later to go up 5-4.
- The Saint then responded with two goals in the final 15 seconds before the half to lead 6-5.
- Flagler shut out the Panther in the third period recording a total of five goals to go up 11-5 heading into the final quarter of the game.
- The Saints opened the last quarter with a goal that extended their streak to eight unanswered goals.
- Gillian Craig recorded a woman down a goal with 9:03 to go in the fourth to make it 12-6, Flagler.
- Six more unanswered goals by Flagler closed out the game as the Saints marched off with the 18-6 win.
- Scichilone led the Panthers going 2-2 on free position shots and recorded one ground ball.
- Emma Angelo won four draw controls throughout the night.
- Hardie, Jennifer Boyle, and Millie Hurt each had one caused turnover.
- Boyle led the team in ground balls with two.
INSIDE THE BOXSCORE
- The Saints ended with an edge I. shots (35-20)
- Both teams were even in draw controls with 12 each
- Florida Tech went 9-11 on clears while Flagler went 11-13
- Flagler recorded two more free position shots over the Panthers (6-4)
UP NEXT: Florida Tech will be back in action Tuesday, Feb. 7 at home against St. Thomas (Fla.) at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Florida Tech men’s lacrosse team, visit FloridaTechSports.com. Fans can also stay up to date on the latest Panthers news by following Florida Tech Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.