USAF Academy, Colo. – The Jacksonville Men’s Lacrosse program completed their Colorado road trip Sunday afternoon, defeating Air Force 15-9 at Falcon Stadium.
Jacob Greiner stuffed the stat sheet once again, having six goals and an assist in the victory, while Max Waldbaum was shortly behind with five scores. Luke Millican, Jack Dolan, Jackson Intrieri and Bo BowHunter rounded out the scoring for the Dolphins. Millican earned the victory in goal for Jacksonville, stopping 13 shots in the effort.
Brandon Dodd’s four goal showing led the Falcons in the defeat. Jason Rose took the decision in goal, stopping nine shots in the contest.
Waldbaum would kick start the Dolphin offense, scoring Jacksonville’s first two goals of the day. Following back-to-back Falcon scores, Dolan would find the back of the net, however the Dolphins trailed by one at the end of the quarter, 4-3.
After an Air Force goal would begin the second, Jacksonville exploded with a 7-0 run to take a five-goal lead to the break, 10-5.
The Dolphins would continue their success in the third, opening with three-straight goals to extend the run to 10 consecutive scores by the ‘Phins. After back-to-back Air Force goals to finish the frame, Jacksonville held a 13-7 advantage entering the fourth and final quarter.
The two programs would trade back-to-back runs in the fourth, as the Dolphins complete the weekend sweep defeating the Falcons, 15-9.
Head Coach John Galloway‘s Comments
“Today was a character win from our group. To win back to back games, much less against a military institution, is not easy. While the script of the game wasn’t perfect, we continued to find ways to get going when Air Force made it hard. We have to spend some time in recovery and reflection as we flip the page to March. This group is so enjoyable to be apart of, and I am excited to get back to work this week to build on our momentum.”
“We did get some special performances today from Jacob Greiner, Luke Millican, Max Waldbaum and Jackson Intrieri. Our defense got stops when we needed and we found our way out of a tough situation with a team effort. We will need everyone moving forward.”
– Sunday was the 11th all-time meeting between the two teams. Air Force still holds a 7-4 lead over the Dolphins.
– The contest was the first true road victory for Jacksonville over Air Force. It was the second victory over the Falcons in Colorado, the previous on March 6, 2011, in Denver.
– The five-game winning streak is now the longest in program history.
– Greiner matched his career-high of six goals, which was established yesterday.
– Millican’s goal is the first goal scored by a goalkeeper in Jacksonville history.
– Dolan now stands at 140 career points, just three shy of tying Eric Applegate’s career record of 143 points.
The Dolphins return home next Sunday, hosting Utah in the 11th annual Jacksonville Lacrosse Classic. Opening faceoff is slated for 6 PM and the contest can be watch live on CBS Sports Network. Tickets for this year’s Classic can be purchased HERE.