St. Andrew’s held onto the number one spot in the Tom Maracheck’s All – Pro Lacrosse coach’s poll this week.
In fact, the top seven spots remain unchanged this week. The big mover was Winter Park, who dropped off the list last week. They catapulted back into the number 8 spot with wins over Oviedo and Bartram Trail. Boone had a rough week loosing to Bishop Moore and Woodberry Forest (VA) and dropped out of the top ten.
Benjamin stayed at number 9 and Boca Raton dropped to the number 10 spot after loosing to St. Andrews 18-2.
1. St. Andrews – Dominant over two of our top ten teams defeating Boca 18-2 and Pine Crest 16-4.
2. Lake Highland – Cruised by The First Academy 17-6 and lost to Boys Latin 6-8.
3. St. Thomas Aquinas – Defeated Gulliver Prep 18-2 and Barron Collier 12-4.
4. Ponte Vedra – Defeated Maclay 15-9.
5. Bishop Moore – Beat Edgewater 17-1 and Boone 8-7.
6. Jupiter- Moved to 8-0 with wins over The Pine School and Palm Beach Gardens 18-1 and 10-2.
7. Pine Crest- Defeated Spanish River 19-6 and lost to St. Andrews 4-16.
8. Winter Park – Beat Oviedo 21-8 and got past Bartram Trail 13-12 to move back into the top ten.
9. Benjamin – Defeated NorthWest Guilford (NC – 1-2) this week by score of 11-7.
10. Boca Raton – Lost to St. Andrews 2-18 and won at Pope John Paul ll 15-7.
Other teams to receive votes included Bartram Trail, Boone, Creekside, Lake Brantley, Lake Mary, and Timber Creek.
Our FloridaLacrosseNews.com Game of the Week is tonight’s Lake Highland Prep vs. Bishop Moore. There is a great game down south tonight, but this is a huge game for both teams with district tournament seeding at stake. As one of our pollsters put it, ” Bishop Moore has been squeaking out wins with great goalie play and come from behind heroics in the 4th quarter. Lake Highland is playing at an elevated level, nearly defeating Boys’ Latin. Will the wear and tear of the close games make Bishop Moore more battle tested or put them in a hole early on? Will Lake Highland be able to rebound after a close, hard fought game on Saturday? Both teams can play defense and have great goal tending. Not to mention, Craig Cook is taking on his former team he helped enter into varsity competition years ago. Should be a close, competitive game.”
The other big game that many of our coaches would love to see is the Boys Latin vs. St. Andrews game tonight. This is a great test of Florida lacrosse on a national level. There will be plenty of talent on the field for this game.
Up North this weekend there is going to be four great games in the North/South Brawl. This game will feature two solid and established teams, Ponte Vedra and Timber Creek, and two teams who are having tremendous seasons and making a name for themsevles – Bartram Trail and Hagerty.
Ponte Vedra (5-1) will play Hagerty (7-1) on Friday night and Timber Creek (6-3) on Saturday. Bartram Trail (6-2) will play Timber Creek on Friday and Hagerty on Saturday. This is a big chance for Bartram Trail and Hagerty to mix it up with some solid teams and make a real statement.
One other big game down south features two of our top ten teams squaring off. St. Thomas Aquinas and Pine Crest. One of our pollsters pointed out that “this has the ppotential to be one of the best games of the season. These teams had great games last year, and there are many great players on both sides. The key will be Pine Crest’s ability to win face-offs and control the ball. Saint Thomas has a potent offense and can push the tempo.”