NAIA: Webber Men Suffer Double-Overtime Defeat to Aquinas

Written on . Posted in , , , .

via Webber Intl press release


WESTFIELD, Ind. (February 17, 2022) – The Webber International University men’s lacrosse team traveled to Westfield, Indiana to participate in the NAIA Invitational. The Warriors first matched up against Aquinas College (Mich.) on Thursday afternoon, resulting in a 9-8 double-overtime defeat.

It was a low-scoring affair as neither team reached double digits in score. The Warriors (2-1 overall) put the pressure on the Saints (1-0), outshooting them 43-33 in total shots. However, the Aquinas goalie was keeping his team in the game, making an impressive 21 saves in total.

The Saints would draw first blood in the game with the first goal roughly five and a half minutes into the first quarter. Chase Jackson would get Webber on the board a minute and a half later with a solo goal to level the game at 1-1. A man-up goal from sophomore Houston Finlayson, assisted by Jackson, would give the Warriors the lead heading into the second quarter. Aquinas would grab the first goal of the second quarter followed by a goal from Alexander Kew three minutes later to regain the lead at 3-2. The Saints would then score back-to-back goals 100 seconds apart to take a 4-3 lead with just over five minutes remaining in the half. After assisting the earlier goal from Kew, Cade McCarron would score with 1:22 remaining in the half to tie the game, 4-4, at halftime.

The two teams would continue trading blows in the third quarter as Webber would score first after a goal from Alex West, assisted by Christian Tapia. Less than a minute later, the Saints would level it yet again. Kew would score back-to-back goals for the Warriors before another score from Aquinas would make it a one-goal game at 7-6. A solo goal from Daniel McClure three minutes into the fourth quarter would reestablish the two goal lead for Webber, however, the Saints would respond with another goal with 10 and a half minutes left in the game. Both sides would have good opportunities to score before Aquinas would fire an equalizing goal with three minutes. The Warriors would get off three shots in the final two minutes, attempting to take a late lead, but none would find the back of the net and the game would head to overtime at 8-8.

After a scoreless first overtime, the game would head into a second overtime where a foul from the Warriors would create an extra-man opportunity for Aquinas. 26 seconds later, the Saints would score the game-winner, sealing the 9-8 victory.

Kew would lead the Warriors with three goals, earning his third hat-trick in as many games. He was followed by Jackson who tallied three points with a goal and a pair of assists. Jackson also led the team in both shots (11) and shots on goal (7). McCarron was close behind with two points of his own, with one goal and one assist. West, Finlayson, and McClure all had a goal each while Tapia and Dillon Ziemba each had an assist. Alex Cordero was in the cage for the Warriors from start to finish making nine saves along the way.

The Warriors will be back in action in the NAIA Invitational again tomorrow, February 18, at 2 p.m. as they take on Siena Heights University.