SSC Men: Tampa 21-10 over Lynn – Both Recaps
via the school press releases/websites
Spartans Victorious in Battle Over Knights
TAMPA, Fla. – The No.9 ranked University of Tampa Spartans men’s lacrosse team defeats Lynn University Knights in one of their last road games.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa 21, Lynn 10
Records: Tampa Spartans (12-2, 6-1 SSC), Lynn Knights (7-7, 2-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium || Boca Raton, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Spartans come out hot by winning the opening faceoff, setting the tone for the first against the Fighting Knights. Sophomore A.J. Pascarella gave the Spartans their first goal with just over eleven minutes left. Not more than one minute later, senior, Owen Miller fires one in to put Tampa in the lead. Tampa defended its territory with two huge blocks from Blake Ulmer. The Spartans continued their momentum with goals scored by Harry Kilkowski and Christian Cechini with the assist going to Owen Miller. An unassisted goal by Grant Green put Tampa in the lead heading into the second quarter of the match.
11:14 — A.J. Pascarella, assisted by Matthew Beddow
10:21 – Owen Miller, unassisted
09:03 – Harry Kilkowski, unassisted
06:21 – Christian Cechini, assisted by Owen Miller
05:09 – Grant Green, unassisted
Score: 5-2 Tampa
Tampa would continue its momentum scoring five more goals in the second quarter. Luke McAnaney would kick off the scoring for the Spartans with two gaols apporximately just two minutes apart. Canyon Birch would find the back of the net one minute after McAnaney’s second in the quarter. Later on in the first Harry Kilkowski would find Jackson Bashaw to increase Tampa’s lead. Owen Miller would continue the Soartans surge with a late gaol in the quarter to increase Tampa’s lead to four.
13:28 — Luke McAnaney, assisted by Charlie Bolesh
11:04 – Luke McAnaney, unassisted
10:35 – Canyon Birch, assisted by Luke McAnaney
07:24 – Jackson Bashaw, assisted by Harry Kilkowski
00:13 – Owen Miller, unassisted
Score: 10-6 Tampa
The Spartans surge would continue. Canyon Birch would find the back of the net three more times in the qaurter with assists coming from McAnaney and Kilkowski. McAnaney added two more goals and Kilkowski would add a pair of assists. Nick Papa would get on the stat sheet after he found McAnaney with under a minute to go in the quarter. Tampa would head into the fourth quarter with a nine goal advantage.
14:00 — Canyon Birch, assisted by Luke McAnaney
13:30 – Canyon Birch, assisted by Owen Miller
11:19 – Luke McAnaney, assisted by Harry Kilkowski
10:28 – Jackson Bashaw, assisted by Harry Kilkowski
02:14 – Canyon Birch, unassisted
00:55 – Luke McAnaney, assisted by Nick Papa
Score: 17-8 Tampa
The Spartans would only allow two goals in the final quarter of action and would add to their lead following goals from Patrick Selhorn and Birch.
13:26 — Canyon Birch, assisted by Daniel Fitzpatrick
9:50 – Patrick Selhorn, assisted by Charlie Bolesh
6:51 – Patrick Selhorn, assisted by Gavin Bomstad
5:50 – Patrick Selhorn, assisted by Nick Papa
Final: 21-10 Tampa
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Birch and McAnaney combined for nine goals
- Alex Poma went 10-10 in faceoffs
- Tampa finished the game with 53 total shots
UP NEXT: The Spartans go back on the road next Saturday, April 22nd to take on Seton Hill at 12:00 p.m.
Men’s Lacrosse Suffers Setback to No. 9 Tampa
BOCA RATON, Fla. – Graduate student Stephen Becker scored twice and handed out two assists as the Lynn men’s lacrosse team suffered a 21-10 setback to No. 9 ranked Tampa, Saturday on senior day. Lynn is now 7-8 overall on the season and 2-4 in the SSC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
– Tampa outscored Lynn in each quarter, including an 11-4 advantage over the final two quarters
– The Spartans held a 53-33 edge in shots and won 23-of-32 faceoffs
– Graduate student Colin Casey posted 14 saves in the loss
– Senior Thomas Murray (8:09) and junior Connor Koppelman (5:12) each scored to help Lynn to a 5-2 deficit after the first quarter
– Sophomore Connor Houston opened the second-quarter for the Fighting Knights with a goal at 12:33
– Becker and senior Joseph Michalski scored at 9:48 and 8:26 and senior Jalen Stanton closed the half for Lynn with a goal with 44 seconds left as the hosts trailed 10-6 at the break
– The Spartans opened the third quarter with three-straight goals and carried that momentum to a 17-8 lead after three
– Tampa outscored Lynn 4-2 in the fourth quarter to set the final at 21-10
– Becker and Houston scored in the third for Lynn, while sophomore Dylan Colon and Stanton each found the net in the fourth
FIGHTING KNIGHT STATS:
– Houston and Stanton each scored two goals
– Graduate student Michael Miocic won 8-of-27 faceoffs for the Fighting Knights
– Casey led Lynn with 10 ground balls
– Lynn closes its regular season on Wednesday when it travels to Saint Leo