Tampa Men Ride 19-Goal Run to 23-7 Drubbing of Rockhurst
Andrew Milani’s 4G/3A and Canyon Birch’s 5G lead the way
via Tampa press release/website
Birch and Milani Spark Spartans Offense as Tampa Routes Rockhurst in Home Opener
TAMPA, Fla. – The No.4 ranked University of Tampa Spartans defeat No.19 Rockhurst University in the home opener to continue the 2024 campaign with another win. After defeating Rockhurst (23-7), the Spartans now hold a 1-0 all-time record versus the Hawks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rockhurst opened up the scoring after a goal by Ricky Bloom assisted by Yarkosky. Tampa would answer with 3 straight goals, by Gavin Bomstad, Matthew Beddow, and Charlie Bolesh, which would put the Spartans on top 3-1 to end the first quarter.
The Spartans would come out firing, scoring a total of 10 straight goals with no response from the Hawks. Canyon Birch opened up the fire with two goals and scored two more later in the quarter, recording his second hat trick of the season. Ryan Kemp would close the second quarter keeping Tampa on top heading into the second half.
Tampa opened up the second half with the same intensity scoring 6 straight goals. Jackson Bashaw started the scoring for the Spartans just over a minute into the third quarter. Rockhurst would continue to fight, adding 3 man-up goals in under two minutes but the Spartans defended their lead, closing the quarter with a 15-point lead.
The last quarter started with both teams having an aggressive offense. Rockhurst opened up the scoring, but Rafe Bradshaw would answer for the Spartans to extend their lead. Carson Fuchs bagged his first goal as a Spartan later on. In the last minute, Rex Kesselring tacked on to Tampa’s lead and the Spartans secured a 23-7 win.
TAMPA POST-GAME NOTES
- The No.4 Spartans kicked off their 2024 home opener with a win, Tampa is now 2-0 in the season.
- Canyon Birch scored his second hat trick of the season, and career-eighth, leading the team with five goals.
- Andrew Milani recorded his first career hat trick as a Spartan and led all players in the game with seven points.
- Two other Spartans scored multiple goals: Bashaw (3) and Kemp (2).
- Freshman Charlie Villa recorded his first minutes as a GK for the Spartans.
- Nine Spartans netted their first goal of the season: Beddow, Bomstad, Bradshaw, Cho, Fuchs, Kesselring, Ortega, Pascarella, and Poma.
- Bolesh and Papa recorded one goal each for the Spartans’ win.
- The Spartans are now 1-0 all-time versus Rockhurst.
UP NEXT – The Spartans will travel to Savannah for a matchup with the defending national champions, Lenoir-Rhyne on Saturday, 2/17 at 12PM.